Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Forced abortion -- worse than rape?

This story is particularly disturbing: Former Patient, Rape Victim, Accuses Abortion Practitioner of Forced Abortion
[Jennifer McCoy] was 16-years old in 1988 when she discovered that she was pregnant, news that she welcomed since she believed that she was in love with her baby's father. She had no thought of abortion because she believed it was wrong.

However, the baby's father was her 39-year old high school ROTC teacher who was married and had a family of his own, including a daughter that was Jennifer's age. Their relationship qualified as statutory rape.

Jennifer's mother found out about the relationship, but instead of reporting her daughter's sexual abuse to the authorities, she called the teacher and threatened to expose him if he did not help her persuade Jennifer to have an abortion....

Once at the clinic, she was asked to sign some papers. She signed all the parts related to medical care, but refused to sign anything that discussed abortion. "That's not why I'm here," she repeatedly told the clinic staff.

Jennifer was then given an ultrasound examination. She asked to see her baby, but her request was refused. "It really isn't necessary," she was told.

She was placed in an examination room, and after a long wait, Hodari entered the room. She told him that she was just there for an exam....

Hodari began the exam. "Then all of a sudden I was in excruciating pain," Jennifer recalled. "I tried to sit up, and I heard a machine turn on, like a vacuum, and I realized what was going on."

"I tried to get up from the table. I actually tried to sit up, and he pushed me back down on the table and told me if I moved I could die. It would be over in five minutes and I could go on with my life. I was scared to death at that point that what he said was true, and so all I could do is lay there and cry...."

This poor girl was violated twice -- once as a victim of statutory rape, and once as a victim of an abortion against her will.

I welcome a discussion about this, but I would argue that the forced abortion is the worse of the two offenses. In both cases the girl's body is violated, and both result in horrible emotional trauma. With the abortion, though, she has the added pain of losing the life of her baby.

Where am I going wrong here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home