Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Silent No More: Chuck

This is the story of Chuck, who spoke as a member of Silent No More Minnesota at the state capitol in January 2005. When he and his partner aborted their baby years ago, Chuck didn't see it as a big deal, because abortion was so common and socially acceptable. It wasn't until years later, upon having children, that Chuck began to understand the lost potential of that unborn life. Of course, he now regrets the decision to abort.

Click to hear Chuck's story


Transcript:
My name is Chuck. It is impossible to spend any length of time with a child and not find yourself spellbound. You may be amazed at their intelligence and curiosity, perhaps humbled by their honest affection, or just swept away in watching them grow. I know this because I am now fortunate enough to experience these things on a daily basis with my children.

Many years ago, I gave up an opportunity to experience these things, because a previous partner and I opted to terminate a pregnancy we were faced with as very young people. We were afraid of the social stigma, the reaction of our families, and the overwhelming time and economic obligation that having a baby at that point in our lives would entail.

What we did not consider was what we would be giving up. We did not consider the full implication of ending a life before it had a chance to flourish. We did not consider the lost joy of watching him or her grow and be a part of this world. We rationalized our decision based solely on the self-centered considerations and consoled ourselves with the fact that since the option to abort the pregnancy was easily available and many people were doing it, then perhaps it was no big deal.

We were wrong. We didn't admit it at the time. I didn't fully realize it until many years later. Long after that relationship had passed and others had replaced it, I don't think I fully understood the significance until I did have children. It is impossible to watch my children as they grow now and not wonder about what I gave up back then. It is impossible not to grieve the loss of a child I never got to know.

I want to make others aware of this price and encourage them to think, not only about their current situation, but about what they will have to deal with in the future before they decide to abort a pregnancy. That is why I am Silent No More.

Chuck's story is given here with the permission of Silent No More Minnesota. To obtain a copy, please contact SNMM and consider donating to their cause. Their message is powerful and one that more women need to hear before they have an abortion.

Contact info
Website: http://www.silentnomoremn.org/
Phone: 763-536-8800
Email: annmarie@silentnomoremn.org



Previous:
  • Silent No More: Deb

  • Silent No More: Colleen

  • Silent No More: Tina

  • Silent No More: Valerie

  • But what about the women?
  • Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home